President's Update - November 22nd, 2020

Marlins take two from Rockets and are in first place...The Southey Marlins went into Raymore Friday evening and defeated the Raymore Rockets 7-6 in a shoot out. Tyler Adams scored twice and Tanner Manz scored to give the Marlins a 3-0 lead going into the second period. The Rockets would score early in the second period and would eventually score five goals in just under nine minutes to take a 5-3 lead going into the third period. Ryley Storzuk and Chantz Petruic each had two goals in that second period and Tyler Bell would also score. In the third period Arthur Miller would scored six minutes in to get the Marlins to within a goal. Corey Kosloski would then answer that goal for the Rockets on the power play and the Rockets had a two goal lead. Arthur Miller would score his second goal of the game with just over four minutes left to get the Marlins back to within one. With thirty seconds left in the period Jake Tesororwski would score to send this game into overtime. There was no scoring in overtime so it went to a shoot out. This went four rounds with Tanner Eberle being the only scorer for the Rockets in the third round. That goal was matched by Pat Thompson-Gale and then in the fourth round Tanner Manz would be the only scorer and the Marlins had a 7-6 win. The Rockets were assessed one penalty in this game while the Marlins had two including a double minor in overtime. Zach Johnson stopped 41 shots in the Southey net for the win and Dean Brothen stopped 28 in the Raymore net. 

These two teams would then play in Southey Saturday evening. Arthur Miller would score to give the Marlins an early 1-0 lead. Michael Jordan would score for the Rockets and it was 1-1 going into the second period. Late in the second period Travis Gerrard would score and it was 2-1 for the Marlins heading to third period. The Rockets would then take the lead early with a power play goal from Corey Kosloski and then quickly after that a go ahead goal from Braden Bentz with still over 18 muinutes to play. The Marlins would tie this game at the 6:08 mark with a goal from Pat Thompson-Gale. With just over three minutes to go Arthur Miller would score the winner for the Marlins. Tyler Adams added an empty net goal and the final was 5-3 Marlins. Although there were few penalties the evening before this game saw the Rockets take eleven minor penalties and the Marlins take eight. Zach Johnson picked up the win in the Southey net and Kevin Orthner was in the Raymore net. The Marlins move to 4-0-0 and into first place while the Rockets fall to second place with a 2-1-1 record.

On Friday evening the Strasbourg Maroons had their first game of the year. They hosted the Lumsden Monarchs. The Monarchs defeated the Maroons 12-2. Brody Luhning, Brady Aulie, Sam Aulie and Nolan Reid paced the Monarchs with two goals each. Reid and Sam Aulie each scored on the power play. Riley Riddell, Tanner McKechnie, Sam Aulie and Tyler Lees also scored. Blake Hubick and Cole Kaiswatum scored for the Maroons. Will Hood picked up his first win of the year in the Lumsden net and Rhett Freistadt was in the Strasbourg net. Lumsden had one minor penalty and a game misconduct. Strasbourg had four minor penalties, two major penalties and two game misconducts. As a result of the game misconducts in the last ten minutes of game Ron Cote and Gordon Wasteste from the Maroons and Owen Schnell from the Monarchs each received a one game suspension.

The second match between these two teams was postponed on Saturday evening. I am sure all have heard by now that the High School is shutting down for two weeks due to some positive cases of Covid. This information came late Saturday afternoon and I want to thank all involved in the community for the quick communication and a precautionary decision for all involved not to play. This game will be rescheduled.

As most of you are aware the SHA has been in further discussions with the Ministry of Health about further restrictions in our sport. I was on a call Thursday evening with other Senior leagues and we were asked for input by the SHA. Although we have nothing official at this point we are expecting communication shortly and I will post that when that is received. I will say I know that it is possible that spectators may be limited from where we are right now. Again there is nothing firm yet but we will carry on with our schedule as we have it and will communicate to our senior fans just as soon as we know.

This weekend we have Southey (4-0-0) at Strasbourg (0-1-0) and Bethune (0-2-0) at Raymore (2-1-1) on Friday night. Both games are at 8 p.m. The teams change venues Saturday evening and those games are also at 8:00 p.m. Lumsden has the bye this weekend.

Please follow us on Twitter @HighwayHockey or @ GeraldT   All tweets will show up on our website front page so you won't miss anything...