President's Update - November 22nd, 2013

Strasbourg @ Lumsden

The Lumsden Monarchs won their second game in a row with a 7-5 victory over the Strasbourg Maroons. Once again it was the line of Brady Aulie (2G, 1A), Steve Eberts (2G, 2 A) and Austin Preete (1G, 2A) that did most of the damage with ten points in the game. Jesse Matlock scored unassisted and Miguel Pereira scored an empty net goal to round out the scoring for the Monarchs. Will Hood picked up his first HHL win in net stopping 25 of 30 shots. At the other end of the ice Jeremy Ellis, a former junior teammate took the loss stopping 34 of 40 shots for the Maroons.  The game was close throughout. Lumsden scored first and Strasbourg scored a power play goal from Greg Ferguson late in the first to tie the game. Aaron Decorby and Tanner Exner scored in the second to give the Maroons a 3-1 lead. Lumsden would then score four goals to take a 5-3 lead and then in the dying seconds of the second period Evan Meyers would get the Maroons to within one. Lumsden scored in the first minute of the third period and with just over two minutes left in the game Aaron Decorby would score to get the Maroons to within one. An empty net goal would seal the victory for the Monarchs who evened their record at 2-2-0. The Maroons fell to 1-1-0. The Monarchs had one minor and the Maroons had four.These two teams will meet again in Strasbourg on Friday evening.


Raymore @ Southey

The Raymore Rockets picked up their first win of the year with a 9-4 victory over the hometown Southey Marlins on Tuesday evening. Josh Jordan had a natural hat trick, two of them on the power play, while Tyrell Shulko had two goals and three assists to lead the way for the Rockets.  Also scoring for the Rockets….captain Todd MacMurchy with a power play goal, Catlin Sich, Aaron Johnson and Mark Long.  Kyle Schmalenburg had four assists in the game. Justin Stewart picked up his first win in net for the Rockets. Pat Thompson-Gale had two goals (1 ppg, 1 shg) and two assists for the Marlins who fell to 0-3-0. Also scoring for the Marlins on the power play were Mike von Doellan and Shay Wirll. Kurtis Sollosy was in net for the Marlins. All four goals that Southey scored were on special teams. Raymore took seven minor penalties while Southey took six minors and a misconduct.


We have four games on Friday evening. The Bethune Bulldogs (2-0-0) are in Raymore to meet the Rockets (1-2-0) at 8:30 p.m. The Wynyard Monarchs (2-1-0) are in Southey to play the Marlins ((0-3-0), the Lumsden Monarchs are in Strasbourg and the Cupar Canucks (2-0-0) are in Avonlea to play the Arrows (0-1-0). We have one game on Saturday evening. The Wynyard Monarchs are in Cupar. The Avonlea @ Raymore game has been moved to January 31st and the Southey @ Bethune game has been moved to December 14th.

Everyone enjoy the Grey Cup safely this weekend and if you get time please try and get out to a game near you.

Gerry Tomkins

Highway Hockey League President

Follow the HHL on Twitter: on the Pensky File

Weekend games summary - November 15th & 16th

Friday evening saw three games played in our league. The Cupar Canucks won their second game of the season with a 5-3 victory with nearby rival Southey Marlins. Justin Schulhauser scored late in the first period to give the Canucks a 1-0 lead going into the second period. Shea Van Luven scored his fourth goal of the year to put the Canucks up 2-0 before Pat Thompson-Gale got the Marlins on the board. In the third period goals by Brett Boha, Bryan McNabb Jr. and Kyle Ross put the Canucks up 5-1. Devin Hillier and Pat Thompson-Gale would score after that to make the final score 5-3. Colby Miller picked up the win in net for the Canucks and Kurtis Sollosy was in net for the Marlins. The Marlins took five minor penalties and the Canucks had three minor penalties and three misconducts.

In Wynyard, the Raymore Rockets got two goals from Tyrell Shulko….one early in the first period and one early in the second period to take a 2-0 lead on the Monarchs. Kaitlin Blight scored late in the second period for the Monarchs and it was 2-1 heading into the third period for the Rockets. Mike Anderson would score twice in the third period, both goals assisted by Mark Long,. Anderson’s second goal would prove to be the winner. Donovan Hall and Jordan Karakochuk with a power play goal would finish the scoring and the Monarchs won 5-2. Dave Perkin picked up the win in net for the Monarchs. John Arscott was in net for the Rockets. Each team had six minor penalties.

In Lumsden the Bethune Bulldogs picked up their second win of the year with a 4-1 victory. Mike Reich scored a late first period shorthanded goal to give the Bulldogs a 1-0 lead after one period. Lucas Ulmer scored half way through the second period with what turned out to be the winning goal. The teams would then trade period power play goals…Jacob Ulmer scored for Bethune and Stuart Poulin scored for the Monarchs. Jacob Ulmer would score the fourth goal for the Bulldogs to make the final 4-1. Troy Moltz would stop 38 of 39 shots for the victory in the Bulldog’s net. Will Hood stopped 39 of 43 shots for the Monarchs. The Bulldogs had seven minor penalties and the Monarchs had six along with a misconduct.

On Saturday evening the Lumsden Monarchs would pick up their first win of the year with a 6-2 victory in Avonlea over the Arrows. The Monarchs never trailed in this game. Steve Eberts led the way for the Monarchs with three goals and two assists. Brady Aulie picked up two goals and four assists and Austin Preete had a goal and three assists. Aulie and Eberts both notched a power play goal. This was a very impressive night for this line. Trevor Thiessen went to 1-1 on the year with the victory in net for the Monarchs. Jared Molnar and Mike Miller scored for the Arrows. Nathan Fischl had his first start in net for the Arrows.  The Arrows had seven minor penalties and the Monarchs had six.

Powered by five first period goals the Strasbourg Maroons opened their season with a 9-4 victory over the Raymore Rockets in Raymore. Brandon Sentes led the charge with five  goals and one assist. Also scoring for the Maroons were Brady Heintz, Evan Meyers, Greg Ferguson and Tyson Orban. The Maroons went 2 for 3 on the power play with Heintz and Sentes each scoring with the man advantage. Tyler Kifferling picked up the win in net for the Maroons. Raymore’s scoring came from Chad Zuk, Aaron Johnson, Todd MacMurchy and Tyrell Shulko. John Arscott was in net for the Rockets. The Rockets had three minor penalties and the Maroons did not take a penalty.

In Wynyard, the Wynyard Monarchs picked up their second win of the year with a five goal outburst in the first period on their way to a 9-5 victory over the Southey Marlins. Brett Leffler started the game out with a natural hat trick with the first goal just 48 seconds into the game and then he scored the next two on the power play. The 2012-13 League Scoring Champion would add his third power play goal of the evening in the third period and end up with six points for the evening.  Chad Mazurak would score two power play goals and Eric Popadynec and Kaitlin Blight would also score on the power play. Cody Straker scored an even strength goal. The Monarchs would score seven power play goals in total. Dave Perkin picked up the win in net for the Monarchs. The Marlins would also have an active evening with the special teams. Pat Thompson-Gale scored a shorthanded goal, Mike von Doellan scored two power play goals and Dominic Perrault would score the another power play goal. Shay Wirll would score an even strength goal to round out the Marlins scoring. Gatlin Schwartz was in net for the Marlins. The Marlins took 10 minor penalties, one major penalty and a game misconduct. The Monarchs took seven minor penalties, one major penalty and a game misconduct. As per SHA rules, Mackenzie Hubick was assessed a one game suspension.





Pocket schedules are now available in your community.



Follow the